A couple of weeks ago, I was delighted that Church Community Builder had the opportunity to host Chris Mavity on one of our thought leader webinars. Chris has years of experience in developing effective church volunteers and has the opportunity to influence a lot of churches through his work at North Coast Training, host of the annual Sticky Teams Conference. I am honored to call him a friend and a very strategic partner.
We had over 400 registrants for the webinar on how you make your volunteer development strategy the heartbeat of your church and not a headache — more than for any other event this year! Clearly this is a hot topic and a huge need for the local church.
For those of you who couldn't make it, here were five of the big take-aways:
- A well-trained and equipped volunteer team is any church’s best asset.
Volunteers who have been given the tools to succeed are the glue that holds the Body together. People are much less likely to fall through the cracks when a well-equipped volunteer team is in place.
- A volunteer team that is left to their own devices is any church’s biggest liability.
Volunteers who are neglected become confused and jaded and can do more damage to a church than having no volunteers at all. Make sure your volunteer team is equipped to succeed.
- There are two ways to recruit volunteers: You can aim to fill slots — which gets the job done — OR you can develop people — which gets the mission done.
Never forget that you are working with people. The goal is to transform lives, not to simply throw bodies at work you need to do.
- Pay attention to what people are good at and what they are passionate about.
Plug them in accordingly! Nothing is more energizing to volunteers than to be in the best place where skills and heartbeat meet. Nothing is more draining than to be plugged in somewhere that is not a match for your personality and talents.
- Lead people. Manage things and systems. Never confuse the two!
It’s that simple. People need to be led. Don’t just check in periodically. Pour into your volunteers. Disciple them.
What else is essential to leading church volunteer teams? What have you learned in your own church?
Stay in the loop on upcoming webinars here.