Guest Post: Sanford Levings is the president of MinistryCFO, a company that manages the financial operations for churches throughout the country. Previous to MinistryCFO, Sanford was the director of business practices for the strategic partner churches at North Point Ministries. I’ve asked him to share his ideas on how churches can utilize the year-end giving reports provided through Church Community Builder to analyze giving and develop a plan for increasing giving in 2013. Today, he shares Part 1 of his series on Church Community Builder’s “tell all” church giving report.
One of my favorite elements of Church Community Builder’s donor management feature is the ability to create year-end giving reports. These reports are extremely accessible and easy to review, providing a mountain of information and insights.
The real opportunity in these tell all church giving reports lies in their ability to be customized in a way that will exclude all of your donor names, thus keeping your donors and their giving amounts hidden from you.
What information does this report provide?
By pulling the comprehensive report from last year, you’re able to see...
- The overall giving in your church.
- Giving from January 1, 2012, to December 31, 2012.
- Sorted reports, by highest donor to lowest donor.
- A breakdown with a month-to-month view.
What does it look like?
It’s going to be 13 columns wide and it’s going to include every donor who gave in 2012.
How can I build this report?
Here’s a step-by-step guide for building your tell all church giving report within Church Community Builder:
- Run the Donor Analysis Report covering the period from January 1, 2012, to December 31, 2012.
- This report will organize the data by month, creating 13 columns comprising each month of the year plus a total for the year.
- If you are uncomfortable knowing who gave what, don't select the box next to "Display the Donor's Name."
- Sort the Report from highest to lowest donation amount.
- If you want to slice and dice the data in a variety of ways, export the report to an Excel spreadsheet.
What can I learn?
After pulling your report, you’re able to take the first steps in analyzing your giving and developing a plan to increase it over the next year. In the next few days, we’ll take an in-depth look at how you can utilize these reports to effectively build relationships with the people who are giving to your church in a way that increases the overall giving you receive.
Have you utilized this tell all giving report before? If so, how has your church benefited from using it?